Hotels on Main Street
The first public house in Woonsocket was located in the Woonsocket Falls Village in the area now know as Market Square. It was owned by James Arnold and operated by Caleb Adams. Celphas Holbrook succeeded Adams and built a larger building on the site in 1829. Later known as the Woonsocket Hotel, this wood frame building was replaced with a large, four-story brick building with a mansard roof and tower in 1870.
In the area of Monument Square stood the Monument House at the intersection of Main, North Main and Social Streets. The original inn was replaced with a three story frame structure with a mansard roof and tower in 1869. Originally known as the Mechanics Hotel, the hotel's name was changed to the Monument House after the construction of the Civil War Monument in 1870. It was replaced in the 1920's by the Brown Carol Building.
Woonsocket's leading hotel in the early twentieth century was the Saint James Hotel on Main Street. Completed in 1892 by A.C. Brooks, the four story brick building had distinctive copper sheathing on cornices and bay window facings. It was destroyed by fire in November, 1986.