The Laurier Theater in 1947
The Laurier Theater is to the right in this photograph of Cumberland Street, near Social Corner, taken in November, 1947. The theater opened in 1920 and was named for Sir Wilfrid Laurier, the first French-Canadian to be elected premier of Canada. The Laurier strove to promote French culture in Woonsocket. It was severely damaged by the flood of 1955 and was demolished three years later.