Click on the picture to see the full color version.
Formerly known as Mechanics Square, this area became known as Monument Square in the 1870's with the construction of the Civil War Monument. It took on a distinctive new look in the 1920's with the construction of several important buildings including the Stadium Theatre Building and the Union St. Jean-Baptiste Building.
321-325 Main Street
A 4-story brick office block and boarding house. Above the street-level storefront, the facade is treated as a series of three arches separated by Ionic pilasters into which shallow bay windows are inserted.
The Paradis Building/The Elm House
329 Main Street
Built by Arthur Darman, a local industrialist with a love for the vaudeville theatre, the Stadium Theatre is one of New England's finest 1920's era movie houses.
Just off Monument Square on Main Street, the entrance to the theatre is through a small shopping arcade. The elegantly designed lobby includes an arched and vaulted ceiling and an
ornamental fireplace flanked by recessed fountains. The Adam style theatre seats over a thousand and still includes its original concert organ. Standing next to the theatre is the Stadium Office Building, also built by Darman as part of the original theatre-store-office complex.
Thanks to the work of the Stadium Theatre Foundation, the theatre is back in operation with numerous productions planned throughout the year.
3-5 North Main Street
This 4-story office block in the Queen Anne style stood across the street from the Stadium Theatre. It was built by Robert Linton in 1888 to house his drug store and was destroyed by fire on March 22, 2000. The brick facade was ornamented with brickwork patterning and terra cotta panels. The side elevations, unadorned in most buildings, were embellished with fancy cut shingles.
1-19 Social Street
This elaborate neoclassical office block was the headquarters to Union St. Jean-Baptist. Union St. Jean-Baptist was founded in 1900 to meet the social and financial needs of its French Canadian members. It grew to become one of the largest fraternal organizations in the country. From 1901 to 1927, the society's headquarters was in the Unity Building on Main Street. The society constructed this building to be its new headquarters in 1927. A "modern" ground level entrance and rear facade was added in 1975.
Union St. Jean-Baptiste Building
Civil War Monument
Woonsocket residents played an an active role in the Civil War from the Battle of Bull Run to the surrender at Appomattox. In all, thirty-nine Woonsocket residents died in the conflict. In memory of these soldiers, Woonsocket erected the first Civil War Monument in Rhode Island. It is constructed of granite and includes a large base and shaft topped by the figure of a civil war soldier. It is inscribed with the names of the battles in which Woonsocket men were participants.
This page utilizes information from:
For Woonsocket residents, these references are available at the Woonsocket Harris Public Library.
- Statewide Historic Preservation Report for Woonsocket, Rhode Island published by the Rhode Island Historic Preservation Commission in September, 1976.
- Woonsocket, Rhode Island - A Centennial History 1888 - 1988 published by the Woonsocket Centennial Committee in 1988.
- History of Providence County Rhode Island edited by Richard M. Bayles and published by W. W. Peston & Co., New York, 1891
Home | History | Main Street | Things to Do | Rhode Island | Links | Webrings | Bookstore | Email
Main Street 2000 | Market Square | Main Street | Depot Square
Monument Square | Social | Historic Places